Since 1996, All Kinds of Minds (AKOM) has served as the preeminent organization advancing the use of a neurodevelopmental based approach to help all students learn and thrive. Now part of QED’s suite of initiatives, it will continue to play a pivotal role in helping educators and students understand how individuals learn, discover unique learning profiles, and personalizing both teaching and learning.
Understanding Learning Variability: The Foundation of Effective Differentiation
Learning variability refers to the natural variations in human brain function and cognitive abilities. It encompasses a range of learning processes, such as language processing, attention, memory, and executive functioning. Recognizing and understanding the range of strengths and challenges of their learners is essential for educators to effectively differentiate instruction. Having this information allows educators to identify teaching methods and learning strategies to support a variety of learning profiles.
QED’s All Kinds of Minds Training: A Practical Approach to Learning Variability
QED’s All Kinds of Minds training provides educators with a comprehensive understanding of learning variability and its impact on learning. The training delves into the specific cognitive processes of learning through the All Kinds of Minds learning framework. Throughout the process educators gain knowledge and tools to differentiate learning based on their students’ learning profiles.
Key Elements of QED’s All Kinds of Minds Training:
- Learning Variability Awareness: Participants gain a deep understanding of learning variability and its implications for learning.
- Learning Profiles: Educators learn how to recognize and assess different learning strengths and challenges.
- Differentiated Instruction Strategies: The training provides practical strategies for differentiating instruction to meet the needs of all learners.
- Inclusive Classroom Practices: Participants learn how to create inclusive classroom environments that foster respect and celebrate learning variability.
The Impact of QED’s All Kinds of Minds Training on Educators and Students
By empowering educators with a deeper understanding of learning variability and its impact on learning, QED’s All Kinds of Minds training has a profound impact on both educators and students:
Benefits for Educators:
- Increased Confidence: Educators gain confidence in their ability to differentiate instruction and create inclusive learning environments.
- Enhanced Teaching Effectiveness: The training equips educators with the knowledge and tools to adjust their teaching methods to meet a variety of students’ needs.
- Greater Professional Satisfaction: Educators experience a heightened sense of satisfaction as they witness their students thrive in a more supportive and inclusive learning environment.
Benefits for Students:
- Improved Academic Achievement: Students with diverse learning profiles demonstrate improved academic performance as they learn about and are supported in their strengths and challenges.
- Enhanced Engagement and Motivation: Students feel more engaged and motivated to learn when they feel their unique learning needs are understood and supported.
- Positive Self-Esteem and Self-Confidence: Students develop a stronger sense of self-esteem and self-confidence as they experience success in the classroom.
QED’s All Kinds of Minds Training: A Path to Differentiation, Inclusion, and Belonging
QED’s All Kinds of Minds training offers a beacon of hope for educators seeking to bridge the gaps in differentiated instruction and truly embrace learning variability in the classroom. By empowering educators with a deeper understanding of learning variability and providing practical strategies for differentiation, the training paves the way for equitable and inclusive learning environments where all students can thrive.
As we strive to create a more inclusive and supportive educational landscape, QED’s All Kinds of Minds training emerges as an invaluable tool for educators, administrators, and curriculum developers seeking to transform classrooms into places where every student’s unique strengths are recognized, nurtured, and celebrated.
To learn more about the All Kinds of Minds framework and training, visit our All Kinds of Minds website and check out:
- Our free online modules exploring key constructs in our learning framework: Attention, Language, and Memory
- Professional development programs based on the All Kinds of Minds approach, delivered through our network of providers
- The All Kinds of Minds blog, a forum to share ideas about learning, learning variation, education reform, and other related topics.
- Online resources such as our Learning Library, which includes a vast collection of articles and strategies around common learning challenges
- Our book, Schools for All Kinds of Minds: Boosting Student Success by Embracing Learning Variation, and related online extras to help teachers and school leaders apply what they’ve learned
Or contact us directly to learn about training options.